Sunday, 19 October 2008
The city of Niagara Falls in Ontario, Canada is home to one of the wonders of the world – Horseshoe Falls, the Canadian side of Niagara Falls (the other side is in New York, USA). Its spectacular views attract 20 million visitors each year.
Beautiful park walkways run alongside the full length of the Niagara River where you can take a leisurely stroll while gazing at the magnificence of the falls.
If you’re more adventurous and want to view the waterfall from somewhere other than the ground, here are some suggestions:
1. From a tunnel behind the falls
Descend 150 ft by elevator then follow a short tunnel to two outdoor observation decks and two portals where you can view the falls from below and behind.
2. From one of many observatory towers in the area.
3. From your hotel room
Hotels line the streets facing the falls. The Sheraton Fallsview has one of the most stunning views.
4. From the Skylon Tower, a very posh, elevated revolving dining room.
5. From a helicopter
This is quite expensive (over $100) but the experience is well worth the money. Book online.
6. From the SkyWheel, a ferris wheel on Clifton Hill, located next to the falls.
7. From the Maid of the Mist, a boat which takes passengers right up to the foot of the falls. You get very wet.
The falls are especially captivating at night, when they are lit up in several different colours.
It’s easy to see why Niagara Falls is the honeymoon capital of the world.